integrated artistic and technology-based media education with young people of vocational preparation measures: new approaches to support media literacy
The German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF), The project is funded under the program of ‘strengthening media skills for future oriented media education in vocational qualification’ http://www.bmbf.de/foerderungen/16961.php , and scientifically acompanied by the DLR Bonn the national aeronautics and space research centre of the Federal Republic of Germany. DLR has been given responsibility to accompany and evaluate the BMBF’s program ‚strengthening media skills for future oriented media education in vocational qualification’ by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF).
support code: 01PZ12004, funded by
the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology’s Institute of Vocational and General Education
IBAP Staff Members involved in the project:
WScientific coordination and project management: Dr. Daniela Reimann
Academic researcher: Simone Bekk, M.A.
- Center for Art and Media Karlsruhe / ZKM department of Museum Communication (contact person: Janine Burger)
- USS GmbH (contact person: Diana Link)
- AAW - Arbeitskreis für Aus- und Weiterbildung e.V. (contact person: Christian Jäger)
- German Federal Agency of Employment / vocational preparation program (contact person: Waldemar Jonait)
- BEO Netzwerk for vocational orientation, youth committee of the youth agency of the City of Karlsruhe (contact person: Gabi Matusik)
- Media Center of the city of Karlsruhe (contact person: Werner Schweizer)
- Jugendhilfeeinrichtung Hardtstiftung Karlsruhe e.V. (contact person: Michael Schröpfet)
- Siemens AG Karlsruhe: Dieter Wolf, Ausbildungsleiter, Corporate Human Resources
- The School – Economy Network SCHULEWIRTSCHAFT des Landes Baden-Württemberg (Thomas Schenk), bringing together school pupils and companies
- Industrie- und Handelskammer IHK Kalrsruhe Chamber of Industry and Commerce (contact person: Annemarie Herzog)
- medienforum freiburg e.V. (contact person: Katja Schwab) a regional media initiatve bringing together companies and regional social partners in the region of south Rhein Baden-Württemberg
Aims and objectives
ZThe research project „MediaArt@Edu“ (ACRONYM) investigates artistic approaches and technological dimensions of digital media education. The project aims to scrutinize artistic approaches and mentoring concepts to be applied in media technology education with young participants of vocational preparation and vocational orientation programs. In the project, a new concept to support digital media literacy of young people are developed, tested and evaluated. It brings together art and technology education accompanied by a specific mentoring concept including portfolio research books.
In the project, students of pedagogy, vocational education, engineering pedagogy as well as technology education accompanies young participants of vocational preparation programs. The project aims to realize an education-through-art approach to technology by introducing artistic processes with digital media as well as didactic concepts of art education in vocational preparation.
Five media module workshops are arranged from the ZKM and IBP/KIT. They comprise the curricular areas of robotics, computer games, light installation design, sound, and Smart Textiles (wearables)
In order to improve media literacy of the young participants, the project aims to support them to shape their own vocational biography towards the development of a vocational identity.
The project responds to the challenges of contemporary vocational preparation measures in terms of inventing a new didactic concept of mentoring portfolio work as aesthetic design and shaping processes.
For more information:
To review the current list: